1. I am haunted by humans.
2. She seemed unpleased with her answer; she struggled to say something more; to illuminate her first response; and she could only say it again: “I don’t know.”
3. And soon they were rolling on again, leaving Treegap behind, and as they went, the tinkling little melody of a music box drifted out behind them and was lost at last far down the road.
4. Don’t ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
5. And no grown-up will ever understand how such a thing could be so important!
6. I watched for a long time, until my mobile began vibrating insistently in my pocket and the rain started to come down more heavily, and then I put out my cigarette and buttoned my coat and headed back to the car.
7. I do, Augustus. I do.
8. But they never learned what it was that Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which had to do, for there was a gust of wind, and they were gone.
9. All was well.
10. He is coming, and I am here.
11. So, if this does end up being my last letter, please believe that things are good with me, and even when they’re not, they will be soon enough. And I will believe the same about you.
12. I hope in that half hour she lived all her million lives.